When God Calls You Out of Your Comfort Zone

Have you ever been called to do something that makes you super uncomfortable?

I recently felt the Lord tugging at my heart to do something way out of my comfort zone. It involved a small group study of Michelle’s new book Famous in Heaven & at Home. I tried to shrug it off. I tried to ignore it. But the Lord kept at it. I finally gave in. I told the swHw team that it was something that I felt the Lord was calling me to do.

I made a video, promoted the group and asked people to join me – all of which makes me uncomfortable and awkward. But I did it. I obeyed the Lord. And you know what? We’re almost done with the study and there are over 200 people in that ‘small group’. The Lord blessed me tremendously by obeying His call.

Is the Lord asking you do to something that is so far out of your comfort zone that you don’t even know where to start? Let me give you a piece of advice. Obey the Lord.

Obey Him. He will bless you. You may not see or feel it immediately. But I can promise you, He rewards those who obey Him. We see many examples of obedience in the Bible:

Noah: Noah obeyed God when he commanded him to build an ark. And not just any ark; a massive ark. God rewarded Noah and his family by allowing them to be on the ark when the flood came and wiped out everyone else. [Genesis 5]

Abraham: God called Abraham to offer his only son Isaac as a sacrifice. Abraham obeyed and his son was saved. Instead, God provided a ram for Abraham to sacrifice. [Genesis 22]

Joshua: Joshua took over leading the Israelites after Moses sinned and didn’t get to the Promised Land. Joshua led God’s people into the Promised Land. [Joshua 24]

What is the Lord asking you to do? Is it to share the love of Christ to your neighbor? Is it to lead a Bible study? Or maybe He’s asking you to trust him with a new job which means a move for your family. I don’t know what the Lord is calling you to do, but I do know that if you obey him, you will be rewarded. Trust that He will be with you always.

By | 2017-08-07T01:39:33+00:00 November 3rd, 2016|Uncategorized|6 Comments

About the Author:

6 Comments

1. Tiffany Luton November 3, 2016 at 4:17 pm

I definitely needed this today.
    I’ve been feeling a call to go deeper in my ministry in the form of teaching and *gulp* preaching.
    Talk about uncomfortable!
    But I determined to trust Him.
    Thank you for sharing!

2. Cristina Williams November 3, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Oh my, Teeny! I am BURSTING with confirmations from the Lord today!!!!! What you shared is another one! I wrote a post in the Facebook group this morning for Michelle’s swHw Branding Academy that touched on a similar struggle I’ve been having. Oooo, it’s scary to take that step, but I’m finding more and more that the longer I fight the call, the longer I walk in despair and disobedience. THANK YOU so much for sharing this story of boldness and obedience!

I’d like to also add that if the posts you’ve been writing on the @heavenandhomebook IG account are any indication of how the Holy Spirit is moving through you, I know I would have LOVED being in the group! Keep going where He leads, especially when it’s outside of your comfort zone!!! You, Teeny, are a world changer and Kingdom builder!!!!! 😀

3. Marsha November 3, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Last night I “modeled” for a local fashion show. It wasn’t a big deal, but what was the big deal is that it was out of my comfort zone. I coach women about faith and fitness and how to live fit and free and tell them how they are fearfully and wonderfully made but then when I was asked to do this my knee-jerk reaction was “who me? I’m not pretty enough. I’m too fat”, etc, etc. I had to get out of my comfort zone and be grateful for the way He made me. Today I shared on FB Live what He taught me through the experience and when we pick apart and point out everything that’s wrong with us, or shrink away from opportunities like the one I was given to participate in this local fundraiser, we’re saying He didn’t do a good job of making me. This message of obedience has just kept hitting home this week.

4. Mary Ruth McNatt November 4, 2016 at 12:38 am

You are beautiful—inside and out. You did an amazing job with the study group. Your heart was definitely on display. Thank you.

5. christy mishler November 6, 2016 at 11:48 am

God’s timing is always perfect. This was an affirmation Teeny to what I already know. I get pretty stubborn sometimes. LOL.
    I saw this blog in my “in box” and saved it to read later. I just read it today.
    God has been telling me to start sharing my story. A few days ago as I was preparing an outline for a Lunch and Learn, I prayed that God would help me prepare and use me as His mouthpiece to what He wanted others to hear. He very clearly said, share your story. I actually walked away from my desk and said out loud, “I’m not ready”.
    The rest is history. Sharing my story is in my outline and I will be doing that on the 8th.
    So, thank you Teeny for the affirmation. 🙂

6. Jouhayna November 12, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Hello,
    I just had a chance to read this and wanted to thank you! I am new to the swHw community and I thank God for leading me to become a part of this group.
    Yes I struggle with getting out of my comfort zone and doing what God is leading me to do.
    I knew from the begining I wanted to make my fitness buisness above all be an avenue to glorify God and reach other women struggling with same issues I’m facing. I have a teenage girl and I want to also reach young teenage girls and minister to them (about body image, sexual purity, confidence in God and many other issues teenage girls face these days). My heart aches with all the pressures the world is putting on these young girls. I have been in prayer and asking God to open doors for me to help women and girls like my daughter to navigate the tough issues they face. I ask for your prayers as I have no idea where to start but I know God is faithful and He will show me.