At the beginning of yesterday’s Q2 planning workshop, Michelle did a quick devotion from Genesis 33:13-14. If planning is complicated, overwhelming, or discouraging (we’re looking at you, 2020!) for you, Genesis 33 offers us a different approach that just might be what you need.
“But Jacob said to him, “My lord knows that the children are frail, and that the nursing flocks and herds are a care to me. If they are driven hard for one day, all the flocks will die. Let my lord pass on ahead of his servant, and I will lead on slowly, at the pace of the livestock that are ahead of me and at the pace of the children, until I come to my lord in Seir.”
“children are frail…all the flocks will die”
- don’t get blinded by possible perks and forget pushing too hard comes at a cost (and usually one that is too expensive!)
“let my lord pass ahead of his servant”
- it’s okay if someone is ahead of you
- determine where your heart is by asking yourself – how do you speak of those who are ahead of you – humbly or critically?
- “more workers into the harvest” (Matt. 9:38) should be our prayers – not more work for ourselves
“I will lead on slowly”
- fast isn’t the only pace to lead
- “well done, my good and faithful servant” (Matt. 25:21″ – finish faithfully, not first
“at the pace of the livestock that are ahead of me”
- aim at doing the work (not for the money or to match someone else)
- “planting” and “watering” is your job – God’s over growth (1 Cor. 3:6)
“and the pace of the children”
- factor in the weakest ones you lead – forgetting them will not grow them
“until I come to my lord in Seir”
- someone else getting there first will not prevent what God will do through you; God is bigger than your ability.
5 Questions to Ask Yourself:
- define what leading too fast will cost you.
- how do you speak of those who are ahead of you – humbly or crticially?
- do you desire more workers or more work?
- are you more focused on planting/watering or growth?
- how intentionally are you leading the weakest ones God has entrusted to you?
And that was just the beginning of the Q2 Planning workshop. From here, Michelle walked us through a process that not only simplified planning, but inspired us to get excited about it!
Interested in watching the entire workshop? You can join SWHW now and have instant access to it + as a member, you’ll get a discount on the SWHW Business Tracker that will serve as your guide as you practice planning the way Scripture calls us to do it!